Benefits of Sports Massage
By: Melissa Doldron, RMT, SMT (cc), FST
As an RMT (Registered Massage Therapist), I often get asked this question of how massage can be beneficial to athletes. You train hard and demand a lot from your body to perform. Massage can and should be a part of your training cycle for optimum health and performance.
Top 10 reasons athletes will benefit from Massage Therapy:
- Increases circulation to your muscles for recovery
- Reduces the inflammatory response in muscles, thus aiding recovery
- Helps ease/eliminate lines of tension in connective tissue to improve your Range of Motion
- Trigger Point relief – irritable spots of tension that can refer pain to soft tissue can impede performance
- Eases muscle soreness
- Improves joint mobility
- Improves sleep – rest is essential in muscle recovery during hard training cycles
- Boosts immunity –research has found massage can increase your white blood cells, keeping your immune system pumping.
- Can aid in various sports injury recovery – such as sprains, strains, tears, tendonitis, bursitis, fractures and dislocations
- And it just feels good!
To book an appointment with Melissa, go to www.thebodymindclinic.com