Did you know? Thankfully there is no such thing as knots in our muscles, that would be seriously debilitating and painful! Each muscle in your body is made up of muscle fibres; they are long and skinny just like the hair on your head! What is commonly called a knot is an area of contracted muscle fibres within a relaxed muscle.
How do knots appear in your muscles?
When you sit at a computer all day, forget to drink water or after a heavy workout, the muscle fibers start to adhere to each other – the knots that you feel are clumps of fibres.
How to avoid knots in the first place?
- Exercise: our muscles are meant to be utilized and challenged. Be active!
- Proper hydration: drink a lot of water and eat a healthy diet. Keep in mind that caffeinated beverages will dehydrate you
- Massage therapy: massage will help bring more nutrients to muscles and keep them pliable and pain free!
- Rest: take breaks at work. Go for a walk, stretch your back and legs! Be aware of your posture.
- Beware of stress: Slow down, meditate, go to a yoga class, be present and mindful and take full diaphragmatic breaths!
How do you get rid of them?
- Rest: Can you take a few days break away from the computer or what’s causing pain in the first place?
- Massage Therapy: not only does massage therapy help with prevention, it can be a great tool to relieve muscle pain and break down adhesions.
- Stretching: gentle movements can help. Be mindful not to over-stretch. *More on this in another blog post. Stay tuned!
Let me help! To relieve your body of these built up muscle fibres book an appointment for a 1-hour message, just $102 including HST, insurance receipts available.